Facebook is the part of people's daily life. It's no. 1 socail networking website so it is used for spreading scams by spammers. Scammers search through Facebook user accounts and gather information from public profiles to send phishing emails so they can gather more secure information such as bank account numbers, credit card numbers and user login and password to other secure sites. On facebook scammers use facebook applications to gather user's information and use their profile to post links of worms and trojans. I wrote a post on securing facebook account from hackers. Today i am going to write some steps to protect your facebook account from scams.
- Avoid clicking on short url's posted in facebook. If you want to click that link, verify it first from the person who posted it. MOst of this type of links are posted by facebook worms.
- Most of the scams are of the form of some videos. So avoid to click on such video link without verifying.
- If any of your friend send a link with some strange message, ask your friend first before click on those links.
- If after clicking on a link, it is aksing for some permission for using your profile information as every application ask before use. Be sure to check all the permission whether it is asking for valid permission or not.
- Try to use less application on facebook. Most of the applications on facebook are useless.